I actually completed 90% of this about 6 weeks ago. The hem was thwarting me.
Unknown manufacturer quilting cotton in a fabulous magenta scrolling swirl pattern.
Burda 124 Wrap Blouse
Naturally, I didn’t use the pattern as is:
- the pattern was designed for knits. The quilting cotton had a slight cross-wise stretch and by cutting the pattern on the bias, I got to about 14% stretch.
- usual high/big butt plus wide hips adjustments
- graded up 1 size from the bust to the hips, but kept the armscyre and neckline as per standard
- Ignored the wrap ties and replaced with 2 buttons holding the front pieces closed. I will probably need to use a safety pin/hook and eye to keep things modest.
Sorry – no in progress photos!
- First time cutting and sewing on the bias. I must say, it is much easier using a stable fabric rather than a satin! I followed the SeamWork guidelines religiously, but probably didn’t need to.
- Standard techniques – french seams, lots of top stitching, facing around armholes
- Failed to use the adjustable bias binder foot to encase waist seam (I think I broke the presser foot). In hindsight, I should have known the foot could not accommodate 6 layers of fabric at the seam joins and should have applied it manually.
- I ended up pinking the waist seams, so fingers-crossed that will stop the fraying.
- Failed to use the 1″ wide hemmer – it was just too loose to hold the fabric. Did a dodgy topstitched hem instead.
Very comfortable top, with a flattering sleeve line that emphasises the shoulders (very useful for a pear-shaped person).
Next time, I will not bother facing the armholes, but use the double-layered sleeve to encase the seams (as per New Look 6808).
I will also add the ties back in for a more secure option than the buttons.